Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Movable Quotes

I have some niggling irritations about the modern age -- e-mail.


For starters, I get too much of it and I wish the penis enlargement folks would take me off their lists.  Why is it my filter will allow me to receive the sex enhancement e-mails but then marks as "junk" e-mails from people I've actually e-mailed!  I don't worry about a computer takeover of the world when the big brain unit in our house can't even perform that simple task.
Here's what I do hate about e-mails -- Sign-off statements.  Back in the days of snail mail, no one signed their name and then inserted some useless, uplifting quote, but with e-mail, lots of folks do this and they're always lame like "Ability is a poor man's wealth," "May you always walk with angels," or "It is amazing how much you can accomplish when it doesn't matter who gets the credit."  Barf. 
Yes, I get the irony that at the top of my blog includes a quote from Teilhard deChardin and isn't it a great one?  With a blog, you can chose not to read it, but any e-mail one receives, the person reads to the end and ingest someone else's philosophy on life.
I propose composing new sign-off statements -- quotes that should be at the end of e-mails but aren't.  Here's the beginning list and I hope you will add to it in the months ahead.


"The first step toward failure is trying." Anonymous
"Dare not to dream, or die flying." Amelia Earhart
"Let's make better mistakes tomorrow." BadPitchBlog

2 comments:

  1. Yay, April has a blog! Have fun with it. I think oyur "trying/failure" quote is actually by Homer Simpson.
    Keep me posted on your novel stuff!

    ReplyDelete

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human one.
Teilhard deChardin