Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Breastplate

When I don't have time to meditate, this is my shortcut mantra. I say it while fingering prayer beads, hiking, walking and driving. When called out to see a patient in crisis, a first time visit with a bereaved client or a death, I repeat this prayer until I feel Divine Love flood my being -- from head to toe and cell to cell. This prayer more than any other reminds me I am beloved. In this Catholic prayer, Christ consciousness, like Divine Love, dwells within us all.

St. Patrick's Breastplate

I bind myself to the strong virtue of love.
To the obedience of angels,
to the prediction of prophets
to the faith of the confessors,
and the preaching of the apostles.

I bind myself to power of heaven --
the light of the sun,
the brightness of the moon,
the depth of the sea,
the stability of earth,
and the compactness of rock.

I bind myself to God's power to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to teach me,
and God's word to give me speech.

Christ with me and before me.
Christ behind me and within me.
Christ to the right of me, Christ to the left of me,
Christ above me, Christ beneath me.

Christ in the ears of everyone who hears me.
Christ in the eyes of everyone who sees me.
Christ in heart of everyone who knows me.
I bind myself to the strong virtue of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human one.
Teilhard deChardin