Monday, February 11, 2013


Valentine’s Day
by April Coldsmith

I wait for the Mikimoto necklace
Swollen, milky-moon pearls
stretched lucent
A mother’s belly just before birth.
Beads nibble my neck
like kisses from you.

Or those diamond earrings,
pindrop hints in casual conversation:
“Can I zip you up?”
“Yes,” I turn and proclaim
“diamond earrings would look fabulous with this dress.”
I hope for square cut crystals
to catch the light
from my lobes.

My heart burns for a sapphire ring,
Oval shape embedded in diamonds,
blue orb surrounded by white iris,
I gaze into your eyes
with longing.

I could settle for a spa day gift coupon
Asian ladies press my feet,
paint my nails,
massage my skin until it
screams, passion for you.

But instead
you’ll waltz in with a
lone
   red
       rose
wrapped in cellophane
eclipsed by barren baby’s breath
studded with a waxy, fern leaf.

A red rose so perfect –
      free of blemish
      or scent –
it passes for plastic.

But you smile a broad strand
of Mikimoto Pearls,
A toothsome grin
dropped just below my neck

I try to be satisfied.
I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human one.
Teilhard deChardin