Saturday, April 10, 2010

Christianity is Dead; Long Live Some Other Word

Maybe it's time to crucify "Christian" on the lexicon-cross.  Or at the very least let the religious right have the word.  They already own the term having managed to associate it with anti-social justice, creationism, protectors of pedophile priests, anti-woman rights, homophobia, among others.  And it already had the baggage of the Crusades, the Inquisition and the Holocaust.  I don't even know how to defend it anymore and I'm tired of trying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a follower of Jesus but too often I'm having to explain what I mean by that association because of the negative connotation of the word "Christian."

"No, I'm not one of those Christians.  I believe God blesses everyone.  It doesn't matter what religion you  practice or if you practice one at all.  If I insisted you had to belong to my religion in order to be saved, why that would make Christianity a cult."

It's happened to you too, right.  Meeting a person at a party who says, "Well," intake of breath, "I'm a Christian" as if the term makes them the most superior being on the planet or the sentence in and of itself explains, EVERYTHING.  Someday when I have real courage I'm going to say, "Well," intake of breath, "I'm Quantumlly Entangled."

I would be in good company abandoning the word, 'Christian'.  Jesus probably never intended an institution anyway, he seemed so against them in life.  I could call myself a "Progressive Christian," or a "Liberal Christian," I suppose, but aren't two words always less than one. (Yes, a paradox but a truth nonetheless.)

In my office, I have crosses, crucifixes and Jesus pictures on my wall.  I have images of a God who is woman and mother.  I have a cup for the wine and a plate for the bread but after the latest assault by Glenn Beck, the "You Betcha, Queen," Michelle Bachman, and Pat 'when is he ever going to die' Robertson, none of these symbols are Christian to me anymore.

They speak of a deep, all encompassing and abiding love.  To call the symbols 'Christian" would sully the love they attempt to portray.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I have to say, I hear you, but I have decided to do something different. Much like the term "gay" which the G&L community reclaimed, I am reclaiming the word "Christian" for people like me -- and, I think, you! ;) People who love and follow Christ, and follow his instructions (or try to). You know, the "loving others as ourselves, and God(dess) above all" ones?
    I keep hoping, if I wear the name on my neck/life long enough, and act NOT like Glenn Beck, people will start to think Christian is okay.
    Maybe even good.

    I try to remember that words are powerful, and have power. I would so hate for a word as powerful as Christian to mean something petty and hateful. I don't think Jesus would like it all that much either.
    Still, I get you, and I sympathize. Some days the world/religious right just beats you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I do feel like I live in the novel 1984. Even Jim Wallis is having to defend the social justice ethic -- sort of the bedrock of Judaism/Christianity and Muslim doctrine too.
    Here's my concern -- we wear the Christian label around our necks and then the religious right comes along and hangs us by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never was a Christian, but I am a Jesus-follower. The difference is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fret not over Glen Beck. He's a Mormon and shouldn't be considered to be speaking for those of the Christian faith. Admittedly, the name Christian has gotten a bad rap in some circles. As a result, some have taken to calling themselves "Christ followers." Nevertheless, we believers are going to have to grow some backbones and get over the fear of claiming exclusivity. All the major religions claim exclusivity. If you don't believe me, try being a Christian in a Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu country. Remember: Jesus claimed to be God, (He said, "When you've seen me, you've seen the Father," and "I and the Father are one") and claimed to be the only way to God ("No one comes to the Father except by me.") As C. S. Lewis pointed out, no one can claim to be God unless they are certifiably crazy, the biggest liar the world has ever seen, or the really ARE God. If Jesus says He is the only way, why can't you? As for me, I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. (Romans 1:16)

    ReplyDelete

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human one.
Teilhard deChardin